Path to certification
A letter to our Birth Story Listeners, who have successfully completed
our three-part, 14-week introductory course
and wish to become certified mentors
Birth Story Mentor Certification status is essentially a recommendation from us to storytellers-in-search-of a birth story mentor that we endorse your expertise and unique talents in leading our BIRTH STORY MEDICINE Process™. Certified Birth Story Mentors will be listed on our Find A Listener Referral Directory on birthstorymedicine.com, where you can also list your website.
We enjoyed introducing you to the BIRTH STORY MEDICINE Process. We now look forward to working closely with you as you move from being a very good listener to being a uniquely qualified mentor. The most important difference between good listening and mentoring is that you have more confidence, creativity, and tools to ensure your storytellers experience a lasting change of mind and a new narration as a mentor. During this advance training, you will cultivate and demonstrate your ability to: build a mentoring relationship; a more nuanced level of listening; possibility- and solution-focused dialogues; spontaneously utilizing a variety of "Medicines" that include myth, metaphor, storytelling, and practical information about birth in our culture.
You may work more closely with one of the Tutors, but will probably be mentored by more than one. While we don't want to "rubber stamp" your certification by having a standardized list of requirements, we do want to give you a general idea of what to expect as you begin.
1. Send three recordings of your birth story sessions with a self-evaluation to your Tutor(s). These should be spaced a few months apart to allow time for reflection, more practice, and choosing recordings for a particular reason, i.e., you want specific feedback on a difficult session, or you want to show your unique creativity.
2. A Certified Mentor should be passionate about the work and experienced; you should be doing at least 24 sessions a year. We have created a "BSM Sessions Log" on google forms [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdkqzuhffJNt1dOdBxAVHMNhXcW6ixv1tfynyUt-NWJERnjEg/viewform?usp=sf_link] for you to record data about your sessions. This documentation will help track your progress toward certification.
We are now asking all students, mentors, and tutors to post their birth story data on this Log so we can begin to gather data on the demographics, sessions, and aspects of our work.
If you have been keeping notes on your storytellers and sessions, you can enter any sessions you've done in the past year; these will count toward your certification requirements.
3. Participate in at least one Birth Story Medicine Semester
4. Document your participation in the Inanna Pilgrim Gatherings
5. Let us know about other trainings you are taking that are relevant to the narrative process, solution-focused interviewing, visualizations, and the like.
We want this process to be enriching and reasonably expedient for you; you should be able to complete this process in six to 18 months from the time you enroll.
Interested in becoming Certified?
Simple application process to schedule your welcome interview